The benefits of Rice water is known for centuries as a popular, effective yet frugal remedy for skin nourishments. Most of us throw away the water left over after washing or cooking rice, but little do we realize that starchy water is a solution to many skincare woes!.
Rice water has been a part of Korean and Japanese beauty culture for ages. Recently, skincare enthusiasts have discovered the wonders of rice water. The best thing about it is that you can prepare it at home easily. In this article, we have discussed the benefits of rice water and how it is good for your skin and the process to prepare it at home. Keep reading.
Is Rice Water Good for your Skin?
Rice water has many properties that make your skin excellent. It also forms an integral part of Asian beauty and skincare. For centuries, Japanese and Korean women have used rice water as skincare and hair care product.
It comes with vitamins, minerals, and amino acids essential to keeping the skin healthy and beautiful. The nourishing antioxidant ferulic acid and allantoin contain rice water, a biological compound that can soothe and cure the skin.
It’s no wonder that so many people are bustling with rice water with all these beauty benefits. There have been few studies on the benefits of rice water for skin. Most advantages are based on anecdotal evidence that scientists have not verified.
Let’s explore the benefits of rice water for skin.
Rice water benefits are enormous for the skin because it contains vitamins, minerals, and numerous essential amino acids. Including ferulic acid, which gives antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties to rice water.
Rice water can heal skin and thus also treat acne, rice water has also been shown to be efficient in treating eczema and sunburn.
All this makes rice water an ultimate serum of beauty.
1. Treats damaged, aging skin
Rice water helps remove the dark ages and minimizes free and radical environmental damage like sun rays and aging. It also lightens the skin’s texture, tightens the skin, reduces the pores, and leaves soft porcelain-like finish to the face.
Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, flavonoids, and phenolic compounds are rich in rice water. It also contains ferulic acid and allantoin, all needed to function the skin.
2. Skin Brightening Effect
This benefit of rice water is not scientifically proved. In Korea and Japan, however, people use rice water to minimize blemishes and brighten their skin.
It is assumed that rice water may contain enzymes that lighten the skin. That’s why it is used in soaps and creams as an active ingredient.
3. Relieves acne and dermatitis
If your skin’s natural barrier is compromised, it becomes dry and vulnerable to skin conditions such as atopic dermatitis.
Rice water is known to be an ingredient found in many personal treatments to help skin irritation caused by sodium laurels (SLS). Anecdotal proof has shown that twice a day rice water helps dried and damaged skin.
Rice water heals acne and calms the redness of an outbreak by tightening pores and acting as an astringent in the skin. The water should be refrigerated and then applied with a cotton pad on the face.
4. Soothes Sunburn
On sunburned skin, rice water feels soothing. Many people find it extremely helpful to treat mild sunburn symptoms, including redness, inflammation, and itching.
On the skin, the starchy rice water also tightens and tones. This might be particularly useful for people with oily skin.
There is limited evidence that rice water has an effect on the skin. But since it is free of chemicals and suitable for all skin types, it is not harmful. If you want to try, see how rice water is prepared in the next section.
How To Prepare Rice Water At Home
There are many ways in which you can prepare rice water at home. Before extracting the water, you can soak and cook rice or you can use the fermentation process. Choose the one for you that’s easier.
The fastest way to prepare rice water- The soaking rice method
- Take a cup of rice (around 100 g). You can choose any variety of rice.
- Give it a quick rinse for cleaning.
- In a bowl, pour three cups of water (around 500 ml to 700 ml).
- For 30 minutes soak the rice in water.
- Use your fingers to push the rice gently. Swirl it until the water is cloudy sometimes. This helps rice micronutrients enter the water and cleanses your skin.
- Squeeze the rice and collect water into a glass bottle.
Rice water can be stored for a week in the refrigerator. You’re going to have to prepare another batch after that period. This rice water can be used on your skin and hair. It can be used as a toner or added to a DIY face pack.
Tip: ginger, orange peel, rose petals, or any other essential oil you choose can be used to lighten the smell of rice water.
Fermentation Method – How to Make Fermented Rice Water (or Rice Wine)
The fermented rice water is extremely good for the skin. A study has found that topical use of rice wine prevents UV damage and protects the skin’s natural barrier.
It has major anti-aging advantages since it promotes pro-collagen synthesis. Therefore, it prevents wrinkles and loss of transepidermal water and supports epidermal thickening. This is what you have to do to make fermented rice:
- Rinse a cup of rice with plain water (approximately 100 g). You can choose any rice variety.
- Pour three cups of water into a bowl (approximately 500 ml to 700 ml).
- Soak the rice for two days in the water. Let ferment.
- Stir the water after two days and strain the liquid.
- Pour the liquid into a glass bottle and cool.
This is the easiest way for fermented rice water to be prepared at home. But said the process is a bit tedious since it has to be fermented longer and with Koji, a fungus used to ferment rice (Aspergillus oryzae).
The fermentation of rice water reduces the pH of rice water to the level of our hair. A balanced pH product helps you to close and flatter your cuticles.
The Boiling Method
- Boil a cup of rice just like you were cooking it.
- Squeeze the starchy water out.
- Store a glass bottle of rice water.
- Before you store it in the refrigerator, cool down completely.
Now that you know how rice water and rice wine can be prepared at home, let’s talk about how you can use it on your skin.
How do I use rice water?
It’s easy to use rice water.
- Store it in a spray bottle if you are using soaked rice water.
- Spritz it as a toner or mist on your face.
- Spritz it on and leave it after cleansing your face.
- You can wash your face with water after 30 minutes.
- You can also use a cotton ball instead of spraying.
- Soak in the rice water a cotton ball and apply it all over your face.
- Allow 30 minutes to dry.
- Wash it with water.
If you use fermented rice or rice wine
- In a bowl, take 2-3 tablespoons of fermented rice water or rice wine. Store the rest. Store the rest.
- Dilute in 1 or 2 cups (approximately 250-450 ml) of water.
- Mix well, and store in a bottle of spray.
- Spray on or apply a cotton ball whenever you want.
If you prefer to buy rice water products rather than prepare them at home, we have a few suggestions. See them below. Check them below.
You can try Rice Water Infused Products
- The Face Shop Rice Water Bright Bundle – Cleanser 150ml + Light Cleansing Oil 150ml – Buy it here!
- Rice Water Hydrating Elixir (formerly Rice Water Moisturizing Fermented Leave-In Serum) – Buy it here!
- [THEFACESHOP] Rice & Ceramide Moisturizing Facial Toner, Provides Deep Hydration with Ceramide and Rice Extract – Buy it here!
- SoltreeBundle-Korean Beauty Best Rice & Ceramide Moisture SET(Emulsion + Toner – Buy it here!
The Bottom Line
Rice water is currently very popular. Although not all the claims are proven as to how it can help your skin, there is evidence that certain types of skin problems such as sun damage or natural aging are helpful. It also repairs hair that has been damaged.
Although it is not advisable to drink a lot of rice water due to its possible content of arsenic. It can have positive benefits for your skin and hair. First, talk to a dermatologist before starting a skin regimen.
Q. Does rice water have side effects?
A. A rice water treatment has no proven side effects, so use it at your own discretion.
Q. Is rice water dangerous?
A. Although the benefits of rice water hair rinse for hair remain unproven, they are safe to try at home and may also be used for skin.
It was found in people with dermatitis to promote skin health.
Q. How long can you keep rice water?
A. When hygienically stored, fermented rice water is maintained for several years.
Q. Can you add essential oils to rice water?
A. Yes, when you feel the smell is too strong for you, you can add several drops of essential oil such as rosemary, lavender, or geranium.
Q. Can I use rice water on my face overnight?
A. Yes, overnight on your face you can leave rice water and wash it the next morning.